Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power supply?
Hey Airic. Great project and congrats on this forum!
My question are:
1. how do you recommend powering the assembled parts? 12v batt?
2. Since I'm finishing my own project which is a wireless focus pulling remote, I'm interested in the power supplied to the Easy Driver and the motor. Would you care to explain? i.e. if the ED gets it's power from the Uno, its just 5v. Shouldn't ED operate with 12v?

Thank you!
Adi Soffer
http://www.adisoffer.com
Information 
Hello Adi,

thanks for your nice feedback!

The miniE shield forwards the input power of the Arduino to the EasyDriver. So if you power your Arduino with 12V then the EasyDriver and thus the Motor are powered with the same voltage. The logic, e.g. step- or direction signals, is running on base of the Arduino 5V bus.

I am using a LiPo battery pack with approx. 12V for field use. There are several capacities of those packs available. Because the fully powered system takes up to 1A (1000mA), a 1000mA/h pack would last approx. one hour. This battery is simply plugged into the Arduino power jack.

Airic
(02-25-2013, 11:59 PM)airiclenz Wrote: So if you power your Arduino with 12V then the EasyDriver and thus the Motor are powered with the same voltage. The logic, e.g. step- or direction signals, is running on base of the Arduino 5V bus.

Airic

Thank you for your reply.
Just to make sure I understand this: When the UNO receives 12v power through it's jack, it actually outputs it as 12v through its VIN pin? That's a new thing to me, and indeed a very useful one.
(02-26-2013, 08:35 AM)Soffer Wrote: Just to make sure I understand this: When the UNO receives 12v power through it's jack, it actually outputs it as 12v through its VIN pin?

Yes that's the case. I am not quite sure right now if the Arduinio input-reticifier-diode is placed in line. So it might be that the Arduino-Vin voltage is the original input voltage minus the diode's forward-voltage-drop - but I think this doesn't really matter in this case.

Airic
Thanks
Hey again Airic.
I'm trying to use this LiPo battery and something's wrong. I'm getting like short bursts of power, and the LCD flashes with short intermissions. Since I have no experience with rechargeable batteries, I'm wondering what is wrong.
When the unit is connected to a power supply it works like a charm..
What voltage is the battery pack delivering?
(03-24-2013, 10:41 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote: What voltage is the battery pack delivering?

The plot thickens, it seems... Dodgy
The lipo battery seems to be defective and after 12 hrs of charging (!)
delivers 3.6v Angry
The Ebay seller is trying to get me to fix it myself...Dodgy

Should I use this opportunity and switch to li-ion which are supposed to be safer?
It seems that the charger is defective. Hope I'll be able to fix this.

Anyway, since this forum is not focused on batteries but revolves around your great project,
I would appreciate recommendations for power sources you or others use to power it.
I think it could be useful here since I for one, have made the step into LiPo and Li ion batteries only
through this project, and there seems to be many opinions as well as things to be aware of.
What do you think?

Thanks
(03-25-2013, 05:17 PM)Soffer Wrote: ...I think it could be useful here since I for one, have made the step into LiPo and Li ion batteries only
through this project, and there seems to be many opinions as well as things to be aware of.
What do you think?

Great idea - I'll create a new forum / thread in the hardware section which focuses on mobile power supply solutions - whichever nature they might be.
...and I am using a 11.1V > 5000mAh battery pack (LiPo).

Airic