Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor pulsing
Hello!

Just finished with my miniEngine 2! It was a long road, 2 DOA arduinos, bad display but finally it's working kind of.
At this point it boots normal. But in my stupidness i didn't read the instructions correctly...

I forgot to solder the 3.3volt jumpers on the big steppers. Is this a big problem? As now the stepper motor is just pulsing and doesn't rotate, turning the pot on the big stepper doesn't help it only increases the noise. Maybe i killed the big stepper  Confused

I'll post pictures of the boards tomorrow .
(10-16-2015, 12:27 AM)Torquednb Wrote: Hello!

Just finished with my miniEngine 2! It was a long road, 2 DOA arduinos, bad display but finally it's working kind of.
At this point it boots normal. But in my stupidness i didn't read the instructions correctly...

I forgot to solder the 3.3volt jumpers on the big steppers. Is this a big problem? As now the stepper motor is just pulsing and doesn't rotate, turning the pot on the big stepper doesn't help it only increases the noise. Maybe i killed the big stepper  Confused

I'll post pictures of the boards tomorrow .

Are you sure that you connected the motors correctly?
I think i did, but at this point i'm doubting everything... 
Here are the pictures of the boards, i've checked the solderjoints multiple times. 

[Image: DSCF8427.jpg]

[Image: DSCF8426.jpg]
[Image: 2la7nl0.jpg]
Do you have some documentation for your motor?
I also think you know that you need to connect the data cables (S, D, E) to the main PCB, right?

Cheers 
(10-19-2015, 03:10 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote: Do you have some documentation for your motor?
I also think you know that you need to connect the data cables (S, D, E) to the main PCB, right?

Cheers 

Hi,

(Yes, i was trying some things everything is connected now)

The steppers i use are nema 17 type, both with 1,8 degree steps. 
[Image: DSCF8430.jpg]

So calibration should be the same for both motors i think. I changed the stepper drivers with new ones, nothing changed. 

I made a small video so you can see whats happening. Power everything up, at this stage the motor shaft is free. When i go in ti the jog menu and change the value the shaft is fixt(as in power is applied to the motor) when i rotate the pot on the big stepper the motor only pulses but there's no rotation. You can hear the sound of the stepper

Stepper problem
What are the calibration values you use for the motor?
Can you please also try to rewire the motor (42HS40-1704A) to connect to the the board this way: black, green, red, blue.

Cheers,
Airic
(10-26-2015, 01:04 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote: What are the calibration values you use for the motor?
Can you please also try to rewire the motor (42HS40-1704A) to connect to the the board this way: black, green, red, blue.

Cheers,
Airic

At first i tried the value used in the manual (914.29) because the motors should be the same. My pinion has a circumference of 6 cm so that would give 533.33 this also doesn't work. I connected the wiring in different ways but still the same behavior. 
When i measure at (mot1) i get 3v on E depending on if the motor is enabled, 3v on D depending on the motor direction. That seems to be oke, but when i measure on S i get nothing. At home i don't have a scope so i will try tomorrow at work. It seems the there is no or a wrong output from the arduino. 
Could this be a problem in the software?
No, it is no problem in the software as it works for me and a lot of other users without any issues. I'd have recognised a non-working motor on a system that is supposed to just control motors Wink

The S pin is supposed to just pulse for 5 to 10 miroseconds per stepper motor pulse. Your multimeter will not be able to measure that. 
Hello!
I had just assembled the miniEngine ,.. and it's great!
But a have the similar problem. Motor wont turn, it's just locked when I press stat button and it gets hot. If I turn the Pot on easy driver it's start to buzzing louder and gets even hotter. I had change the power supply from adapter to battery, if there were some problems with switching power adapter, and it's all the same. Motors I have are from some epson printer, they should be 7V / 1.8° / 8ohm coil / stepper,.. or is the easy driver which I bought on eBay.

Motor: http://www.motors.wrobots.com/EM-257_17PM-K212-PIT.php
easy driver: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141197792016?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Sounds like the motor phases (the motor cables) are not connected in the correct order. Please connect the motor as described in the attached picture which I created.