Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
New member, don't laugh too hard.
Hi guys, I have started a build for my brother, I know very little about cameras but I enjoy making things so here I am.

I am making a rig more for macro photography but it may do some time lapse too. I am just using the usual cheap Chinese linear bearings/runners and ballscrew.

I have to make everything very very strong as my brother has Dystonia so he has quite poor hand control and can no longer use his cameras effectively.

Sadly I messed the first part of the build, the base, I made a mould and a plug but made the mould slightly too large and ended up with a wave in the carbon. That had to be sanded out and I added more layers of fibreglass as it was no longer perfect continuing with carbon was a waste of money.|
Quick mock up-
[Image: rig_zpsi0tlrgrw.jpg]

The head is different to the norm, it had to be easy to use, removable and use-able without the base. Once finished there will be a cover over the slots and a lock lever to clamp the camera in position, I am still waiting on some thrust bearings to give me my final measurements.
[Image: R0234531_zps4jadfdnr.jpg]

I do have to ask, what is the COM port for?

you rig looks great so far!

The COM port is for daisy-chaining multiple miniEngines so that one has control over more than 2 motors and/or 1 camera.

Thanks Airic,

Also a big thanks for releasing the Mini Engine, I found it after A LOT of searching on Ardino based camera rigs, originally I was looking at just buying a Stackshot but it was a lot of money for a small unit with forward and backward movement.

I would have liked a bigger rig but I have to take it from Australia to Scotland in just over a week so I have some work to do.

Apologies for another silly question but is the 7-15V input on the MiniE the only one that needs to be used while shooting or do I have to supply 3.3V to the Ardunio board too, and will I need access to them after the code is put onto the Ardino?

Thanks for the assistance.

Getting there, still need to tidy up some wire ends and brush the boards to make sure there will be no shorts-

[Image: R0234551_zpsji3rpv2h.jpg]

[Image: R0234554_zpsqrpnh2sd.jpg]

[Image: R0234548_zpskviqaz6q.jpg]
Centre shaft is getting made tomorrow but this is pretty much how it will look but with a better coat of paint-

With the dome for left right plus pre-selected angle-

[Image: R0234556_zpsaivll6sb.jpg]

With dome removed and GIANT Gitzo head fit in place for basic forward backward movement, dome can be mounted on it's own to a tripod.

[Image: R0234557_zpsnkr3uddt.jpg]

there is no need to provide anything other than the main input voltage. All other needed voltages are generated by the Arduino itself. There should also be no need to access the Arduino after it is programmed.

Your rig looks better and better with everything you add to it Smile
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Airic, I powered it up and it all works fine, I had the white screen but it was because I started it up with no card.
I did have a bit of a scare when I first powered it up, the screen was reading right to left not left to right but it was just because I hadn't pressed it in properly.
Well it made it to Scotland but I didn't get it finished and have to work with very limited tools which I don't enjoy. It took forever to get the motors working right due to an off centre adaptor and calibration was just crazy, I have ended up at 6500 steps per rev to get my calibration right. I have also had problems with the unit making a really high pitch whine and it all freezes, not sure if this could be a ripple from the power supply or from having the BED current too high, still experimenting.

Forum Jump:

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)