Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommended stepper with low vibrations
The last few months i built my own slider with carbon fiber tubes and a pan head. The whole parts are 3d-printed except the worm gears and shafts. Now i have vibrations from the Nema 17 stepper. When i adjust the current on the BED i can reduce them. But ist not perfect... With my old heavy Igus slider the vibrations were better. I tested two different Nema 17 stepper. The vibrations are different between the two models.

What stepper should i use on my slider to eliminate the vibrations?

Marc
I am having a similar problem with vibration at low speeds in video mode, the vibrations won't matter in move and shoot mode. I am considering gearing down the drive so that the motor is spinning a bit faster but it will come at a cost of slider speed. I have two sliders being assembled, one is driven via belt and the other will be via a threaded rod similar to a ball screw. The belt version is the one that vibrates a lot at slow speed and once I finish the thread version I don't think it will vibrate as the motor will have to spin faster to get the same slider speed.
Peter
(05-20-2015, 05:36 PM)marce Wrote: The last few months i built my own slider with carbon fiber tubes and a pan head. The whole parts are 3d-printed except the worm gears and shafts. Now i have vibrations from the Nema 17 stepper. When i adjust the current on the BED i can reduce them. But ist not perfect... With my old heavy Igus slider the vibrations were better. I tested two different Nema 17 stepper. The vibrations are different between the two models.

What stepper should i use on my slider to eliminate the vibrations?

Marc

The vibrations have mostly nothing to do with the stepper motor. Of course these motors step and thus produce vibrations but if your track is stiff enough or there is some de-coupling between the motor and the track the problem should be gone...

/Airic
Airic, can you post some photos of your slider? In the next days i will post some of my light 3d printed with pan head.
(05-22-2015, 09:30 PM)marce Wrote: Airic, can you post some photos of your slider? In the next days i will post some of my light 3d printed with pan head.

I already did: http://forum.airiclenz.com/showthread.php?tid=35
I got some new motors designed to work at 12 volts and they work perfectly, no vibration at all and don't get hot. I researched the motors I first used which caused sever vibration, and seems they were rated to work at three volts.. no wonder they got hot. The new ones came from here    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LearCNC-4x38mm-Nema17-Stepper-Motor-RepRap-CNC-Prusa-Kossel-RAMPS-3D-Printer-/191251265187
I can run video pan at slow speed on my slider and it runs smooth and quiet. I can also run much faster speeds than before but I have set the max speed at 25cm/sec as I can't see the need to pan any faster over the length of the slider which is 85cm.
Very happy with the performance of the slider now... no vibration!
Cheers
Peter
Great to hear the good news!
Have fun with the system!
Airic