Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepper Motor with Gearbox.
Hello everyone!

I saw a lot of dollies here which used stepper motors without gearboxes. The motor I am using is NEMA 17 (current of 1.7 A) with 27:1 gearbox. I am planning to run it with Big Easy Driver. This causes some issues with how to fit big easy driver on Airic Lenz shield. My question is: since my motor has reduction factor of 27:1, doesn't it also reduce the current that it needs? So can I drive it with small easy driver or it's not how it works?

Also, is gearbox necessary overall? A lot of people were using stepper motor with no gearbox and they all wrote that their dolly systems were running excellent. What do you all think?

Thank you Smile
(03-14-2015, 12:24 PM)TokTok Wrote: Your can use planetary gearbox, wormgear, or other gears to reduce the ratio.
Reduction is necessary to get that torgue. There is no slider out there without ratio reduction.

If you use your stepper with less then 1,7A it will work, it also works with 0,4A, all you loose is torque.

What you really need is find a motor with a gerabox and driver which delivers that waht you want.
The 27:1 with 1,7A and a big easy driver is perfekt for a good start.
I use them too.

Hey! Thank you for reply. Yeah, I will probably go ahead and use 27:1 Nema 17 motor with big easy driver. Seems like it would work perfectly. But how did you put your big easy driver on the shield? What I am thinking to do is to place it closer to the end and run wires and solder, however, big easy driver is sticking out from the edges like in the picture. What do you think? 
Thanks. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(03-14-2015, 04:34 PM)TokTok Wrote: I put it in a similar way like you did, same location. Depends on how many space you have in your enclosure if you use one. Put some isolation under the BED and clue it to the shield. Thats it.

Cool, thank you a lot. I wasn't sure so now I know. If you don't mind, could you please also help me out with limit switches, power connectors and everything? I saw in Airic Lenz shop a case and saw the connector jacks. Why does a power connector jack have 7 pins? How is the motor inside of a case going to be soldered to that jack since it doesn't have 4 solder lugs to match 4 wires from motor? And where do the limit switches go? What do limit switches do? Yes, I have read the documentation but still not sure. Also, why is (on/off) button needed? What does it control? Could you please help me out with that too? I will really appreciate it since I have a little time left to finish it and show my semester project?
Thank you.

(03-14-2015, 04:54 PM)wypyr Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 04:34 PM)TokTok Wrote: I put it in a similar way like you did, same location. Depends on how many space you have in your enclosure if you use one. Put some isolation under the BED and clue it to the shield. Thats it.

Cool, thank you a lot. I wasn't sure so now I know. If you don't mind, could you please also help me out with limit switches, power connectors and everything? I saw in Airic Lenz shop a case and saw the connector jacks. Why does a power connector jack have 7 pins? How is the motor inside of a case going to be soldered to that jack since it doesn't have 4 solder lugs to match 4 wires from motor? And where do the limit switches go? What do limit switches do? Yes, I have read the documentation but still not sure. Also, why is (on/off) button needed? What does it control? Could you please help me out with that too? I will really appreciate it since I have a little time left to finish it and show my semester project?
Thank you.

The motor connector has 7 pins because it is supposed to be used for the motor (4 pins) and the limit switches (3pins). But details on how everything gets assembled can the designer Sascha Henke answer better i guess.

Airic
(03-14-2015, 04:56 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote:
(03-14-2015, 04:54 PM)wypyr Wrote:

Thank you.

The motor connector has 7 pins because it is supposed to be used for the motor (4 pins) and the limit switches (3pins). But details on how everything gets assembled can the designer Sascha Henke answer better i guess.

Airic
Alright, I will try contact Sascha Henke then.

Thank you. 
(03-14-2015, 05:18 PM)TokTok Wrote: If you planing to work with the enclosure from Sascha so its is better to contact him, i am sure he gonna help you out.
I use my own enclosure which you can fin on my website. I do not use limit switch for some reasons.

Yours look pretty cool too. It is really nice. I wish I could build a case like that Big Grin

What about on/off blue button on top? Where is it connected inside (in the circuit, in the miniEngine)? I thought that the only way to turn miniEngine on and off was by external battery (if battery is on then miniEngine is on, if battery is off then miniEngine is off)? So there is a way to turn miniEngine on and off with no dependence on battery?

Thanks. 
You can look at the documentation of the miniE V1 case Here, at the last page. 
there you can find the explanation about the power switch and the motor/limitswitch connector. 

I will try to make a wiring documentation in the upcoming week. 

In the MiniE V1 case is not enough space to add an bigeasy driver.

The attachment is a quick and dirty picture  Big Grin

Acrylic enclosures for the Mini Engine V1 and V2. 
Please visit shop.epsh.de

And for more information please visit www.epsh.de
(03-15-2015, 02:20 PM)Sascha Wrote: You can look at the documentation of the miniE V1 case Here, at the last page. 
there you can find the explanation about the power switch and the motor/limitswitch connector. 

I will try to make a wiring documentation in the upcoming week. 

In the MiniE V1 case is not enough space to add an bigeasy driver.

The attachment is a quick and dirty picture  Big Grin

Thank you for reply. I may build a case according to your design just to fit big easy driver there. Looking forward for your documentation! 

Hey! What could work as a good isolation, what do you suggest? I found this liquid tape
http://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bender-LTB-400-4-Ounce-Electrical/dp/B000FPAN2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426518380&sr=8-1&keywords=liquid+tape+electrical

Do you think it will work well and will not damage the rest of big easy driver (will big easy driver still be working)?

Thanks Smile