Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arduino Due clone compatibility
Hi from down under in Australia and a big thank you to Airic for the time and effort he has put into this product.
I am having trouble sourcing two authentic Arduino Due's from local suppliers. I have looked at the Iteaduino from Itead studio as well as Ebay and found Chinese compatible clones such as the Sainsmart, and all claim to be compatible. The prices vary widely but I am more concerned about the actual compatibility issues... are they really going to work as expected? Has anyone tried the clones or other manufactures of the Due? I am buying the lcd screen and stepper drivers from Itead studio so maybe I should get their version of Due at the same time as long as it is known to work. Any comments or experiences welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Peter
What I am about to post is a previous experience with Ebay clone Arduino and with that being said, continue to research the specs and gather user information from other sources.

I tried two different Arduino Duemilanove from eBay, each about $15 USD, and neither one could get my project to work. This was about six years ago and the project was a monome clone using a custom shield and sparkfun button pcbs. After flashing an authentic Demilanove, it was up and running without a problem.

I don't remember who the manufacture was, but it's safe to say that eBay is going to have a ton of useless fakes. I would think that ITEAD would produce a working product though and maybe even the Sainsmart brand would work too. If you are going to try those companies though, I'd order through Amazon since they provide better service than eBay/PayPal.

Hopefully others will chime in and give their opinions and experiences before you make your choice.
I think probably all of my arduinos are clones/funduinos etc...

They all seem to work fine, the FTDI scandal happened but they seem to have backtracked, so I would say don't worry about it.
Thanks for the comments guys. I did finally find a local supplier of the authentic Arduino and they are even in my city,  so I have bought from them. I have had mixed results with some items from China, some are junk and some are excellent so it is a gamble and one in this instance I decided not to take. 
Now just waiting for the other items to arrive before  I start assembly.
Cheers
Peter
(02-25-2015, 02:12 AM)Peda1951 Wrote: Hi from down under in Australia and a big thank you to Airic for the time and effort he has put into this product.
I am having trouble sourcing two authentic Arduino Due's from local suppliers. I have looked at the Iteaduino from Itead studio as well as Ebay and found Chinese compatible clones such as the Sainsmart, and all claim to be compatible. The prices vary widely but I am more concerned about the actual compatibility issues... are they really going to work as expected? Has anyone tried the clones or other manufactures of the Due? I am buying the lcd screen and stepper drivers from Itead studio so maybe I should get their version of Due at the same time as long as it is known to work. Any comments or experiences welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Peter

Hey Peda.
I'm about to embark on the miniengine journey too. I'm living in Sydney and was wonderring where you sourced all your parts from? What type rail system did you end up going from and where did you get parts? Did you order the big set from Aric? Let us know, im super keen to get this project going but Im worried to order anything and have it be a dud
Hi Kyle
Glad to hear from an another Aussie.
I got the MiniEngine shield v2 big set from Airic and he is excellent to deal with. His product is  very well made and mine went together easily. In fact, I have just bought two more! I got the screen and stepper drivers from Itead in China as per Airic's notes. The stepper drivers already had pins and screw terminals soldered on which is a shame as I have to remove them to make it fit on Airic's board. I didn't take any chances with clone Arduinos in the end so I got two authentic ones from  Micro Engines in Brisbane posted out to me.
http://www.microengines.com.au
I got 6mm toothed belt and pulleys from MORRELITECH.COM.AU but not sure if the 6mm belt will be adequately strong enough. I have stepper motors on hand so I didn't need to buy them. Also, a friend has cut me a worm gear set to test to drive the camera mount and if it works I will learn how to make them too.
I am building two sliders, one for me and one for my son and they are still a work in progress . I am building my own version of slider based on what I have the ability to do and learning from other designs. I have a CNC machine and also can cast metal parts so my slider will be unique but not really much different from any one else's in principal. Basically two 16mm aluminium tubes with linear bearings sliding along them supporting a camera mount. Once(if)it works I will post up some pictures.
Cheers
Peter
(04-05-2015, 10:18 AM)Peda1951 Wrote: Hi Kyle
Glad to hear from an another Aussie.
I got the MiniEngine shield v2 big set from Airic and he is excellent to deal with. His product is  very well made and mine went together easily. In fact, I have just bought two more! I got the screen and stepper drivers from Itead in China as per Airic's notes. The stepper drivers already had pins and screw terminals soldered on which is a shame as I have to remove them to make it fit on Airic's board. I didn't take any chances with clone Arduinos in the end so I got two authentic ones from  Micro Engines in Brisbane posted out to me.
http://www.microengines.com.au
I got 6mm toothed belt and pulleys from MORRELITECH.COM.AU but not sure if the 6mm belt will be adequately strong enough. I have stepper motors on hand so I didn't need to buy them. Also, a friend has cut me a worm gear set to test to drive the camera mount and if it works I will learn how to make them too.
I am building two sliders, one for me and one for my son and they are still a work in progress . I am building my own version of slider based on what I have the ability to do and learning from other designs. I have a CNC machine and also can cast metal parts so my slider will be unique but not really much different from any one else's in principal. Basically two 16mm aluminium tubes with linear bearings sliding along them supporting a camera mount. Once(if)it works I will post up some pictures.
Cheers
Peter

Yeah I have the Big set, arduino, BED, Nema 17 and screen, but am stuck on what battery to get also. What are you looking at using for that and where to get it? 
Im looking at making my slider based on a curtain slider from Ikea but The bearings are pretty awful looking so I may switch if I cant find a way to smooth it out (kvartal rail).
I know it's an old thread but I am using a clone and it works perfectly, my clone was almost the same price as a genuine Arduino board as I didn't realise I was shopping in USD(I'm in Australia).
I got it from ITEAD- http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im130413001.html
Hey
I had ordered DUE form E-bay and for now it works fine, only at power-up I had always reset it manually with reset switch on board. I had solve the problem by soldering the 10µF electrolytic capacitor and 470ohm resistor wired in series between the reset switch pins.

E-bay link ,...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261958571550?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

How to solve discussion,...
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=256771.30

simon
I realize this is an old thread but I wasn't sure about the rules, so I'm just adding my related question here.
As a first time miniEngine maker, I bought a " cloned Due " to test before committing to miniEngine2 and the work involved. I appreciate the fact that many members here are actually using the cloned Due boards successfully but we had tough times with cloned Uno boards a few years back. And here I am again:

- The Due Board is being recognized by Mac ( MacOsX 10.10.5  - Arduino IDE 1.6.7 ).
- The USB port is being recognized
- uploads fail

The usual Blink failed to upload to the Due. So I made sure I have everything up to date. Restarted IDE, Restarted Mac and even uninstalled and reinstalled the IDE. Same ! the uploads to IDE fail with the silliest insignificant error:

bossac: extra arguments found

Then I tried a blank script ( empty void, empty loop ). Error again:

bossac: extra arguments found

Any insight will be appreciated. Even if you can direct me to a place I purchase the genuine Due boards.