Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freetronics LCD Sheild
Hi Eric

Id like to start by saying thank you for providing a great piece of software. Its clearly laid out and was relatively easy to follow even for someone like myself with very little experience.
I have built my first system using your software and I was able to get it working. The hardware used is comprised of a Freetronics Lcd Shield and an adafruit cronodot RTC module, I had these lying round from another project. The Lcd shield needed a couple of pin assignment changes but these where well labeled in code and easy to spot. The resistor values for the buttons also needed to be changed, the chronodot needed a slightly different library but both seem to work flawlessly now.
The only question I have is, is it normal practice for the back light to turn on while taking pictures or is this to do with my hardware configuration?
If it is normal for this to happen? Can I turn it off completely?
As it's causing unwanted reflections from the window I'm shooting through in my evening and morning shots.

thanks

Dave
(09-17-2014, 06:18 AM)lightforms Wrote: Hi Eric

Id like to start by saying thank you for providing a great piece of software. Its clearly laid out and was relatively easy to follow even for someone like myself with very little experience.
I have built my first system using your software and I was able to get it working. The hardware used is comprised of a Freetronics Lcd Shield and an adafruit cronodot RTC module, I had these lying round from another project. The Lcd shield needed a couple of pin assignment changes but these where well labeled in code and easy to spot. The resistor values for the buttons also needed to be changed, the chronodot needed a slightly different library but both seem to work flawlessly now.
The only question I have is, is it normal practice for the back light to turn on while taking pictures or is this to do with my hardware configuration?
If it is normal for this to happen? Can I turn it off completely?
As it's causing unwanted reflections from the window I'm shooting through in my evening and morning shots.

thanks

Dave

Yes, I think this has something to do with your changes - well done btw!
Usually the backlight is only turning on when user inputs happen and turns off after the defined time.

My suggestion is to look for the backlight pin-definition in the software and check if it is somehow double-assigned to something else (the camera trigger / focus pin maybe?).

Good luck and have fun with the system!
Thanks Eric
Bang on Id changed the camera trigger pin assignment, but had somehow left the back light pin on the same setting, it should have been swapped. So it was triggering the back light and shutter.