Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuous Mode Stepper Speed
Hello from Turkey,

I just finished my minie v1.1. And i love it s-m-s mode. It is very simple and pretty smart for timelapses.

Sometimes i need work on videos with same system. Therefore stepper needs to move higher rpms.
I tried Motor > Motor steps and set 1600step. It was faster but not enough.
If i try 1600+ step, system not response any button. Then i have to reset it.

How can i move stepper with fastest rpm? What is the limit rpm minie can move stepper ?

My English is not perfect. I hope explained my problem.
Speed is not just defined by the amount of steps (=distance). Speed is defined by a distance and a time (e.g. km/h = 1km per hour). So the final speed is defined by your steps as well ad by your interval-time.

I guess your time-frame was to slow and thus the miniEngine had to do more steps than it can achieve. In continuous modes this can cause the software to hang up.

The miniEngine 1 is not designed for video at all and can only achieve quite low speeds. This is caused by the weak processor of the Arduino UNO. It simply cannot do the needed calculations fast enough and thus the stepping speed is very low.

If you need video capabilities I recommend the miniEngine 2.

Cheers,
Airic
(06-08-2014, 11:56 AM)Airic Lenz Wrote: Speed is not just defined by the amount of steps (=distance). Speed is defined by a distance and a time (e.g. km/h = 1km per hour). So the final speed is defined by your steps as well ad by your interval-time.

I guess your time-frame was to slow and thus the miniEngine had to do more steps than it can achieve. In continuous modes this can cause the software to hang up.

The miniEngine 1 is not designed for video at all and can only achieve quite low speeds. This is caused by the weak processor of the Arduino UNO. It simply cannot do the needed calculations fast enough and thus the stepping speed is very low.

If you need video capabilities I recommend the miniEngine 2.

Cheers,
Airic

I am running with Mega2560.
I guess i need to make another controller for higher speeds.

Thanks!
(06-08-2014, 02:55 PM)G60ski Wrote: I am running with Mega2560.
I guess i need to make another controller for higher speeds.

Thanks!

Unfortunately the MEGA is not faster! It has just a little bit more space for code as well as more memory.
When i choose the option "set motor to home position" i get the best speed, right. Default settings on the miniE. But when i move in cont. mode i never get the speed that i get in set motor home".

i tried severel steps/time cycle . also some max. and min speed delay setting in motor menu.

how do i get the same speed from "set home" to my c.mode?

(10-31-2014, 12:04 AM)TokTok Wrote: When i choose the option "set motor to home position" i get the best speed, right. Default settings on the miniE. But when i move in cont. mode i never get the speed that i get in set motor home".

i tried severel steps/time cycle . also some max. and min speed delay setting in motor menu.

how do i get the same speed from "set home" to my c.mode?

Did you ever get the speed to match the 'home' speed. It must be doable…

Anyone?
No, not yet.
I can match the home speed in SMS mode but never in continous mode.
Mayber the update will change that.

Yup - I know what you mean. It probably needs a new MENU item - MOVE left or right at full speed! Big Grin
(03-04-2015, 04:26 PM)big_shug Wrote: Yup - I know what you mean.  It probably needs a new MENU item - MOVE left or right at full speed!  Big Grin

Continuous is not build for fast speeds! There are a lot of things going on between the single motors steps (e.g. checks if the camera needs to trigger, how much steps need to be done to reach the target at the right moment, ...). All this consumes time and is effectively increasing the delay between the motor steps. So the short delay for the max speed will never ever be reached because there is also the code that needs to be executed - thus the real delay will be longer and therefore the motor speed slower.

The CineMoco, which is based in the miniEngine v1, targeted this issue and introduced a video mode where a dedicated mode was introduced that improved smoothness and speed. This is still not as fast as just moving the motor home because this is done in a very simple code-loop that minimizes the "code-delay" dramatically. Unfortunately there is no real way to get the real run that fast because there simply are other things that need to be checked and calculated as well.

The version 2 finally solved this problem due to a much faster processor and a complete overhaul of the underlying code-core. Version 2 is effectively a real-time system that is able to run the motor always at the same speed no matter in which situation (There is still an upper limit but I was able to drive the motors so fast that the motor was not able to keep up with the speed the step signals were coming). The main reason for this is the much much faster processor of the Arduino DUE. There is no way this can be done on the slow processor of the Arduino UNO.

Cheers,
Airic
All that I'm after is a quick way to get back to the start if home isn't already set all the way back there - 1 metre away.

Don't need it for anything automated or video.

Think of it as part of the setup procedure for a new dolly….

I know your concentrating on V.2 but V.1 surely has a lot of mileage in it yet? It'll certainly keep me going for now.

Thanks for all the hard work and sharing it with everyone.