Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motor problem
I think I've done a big mistake. I've plugged the battery to the wrong power input. Just for two seconds. The motors started to work wrongly (but still working). Anyway, I was still in a mess with the wires. And after setting up the new version, the screen just shows the white colour.
I think I've broken the Arduino shield. And I hoping anything else...
Do you think next step is buying an other Arduino shield and replacing it? Anything else?
Oohh... I was about to get it...

Thanks in advance Airic
(03-13-2014, 03:00 AM)Montor Wrote: I think I've done a big mistake. I've plugged the battery to the wrong power input. Just for two seconds. The motors started to work wrongly (but still working). Anyway, I was still in a mess with the wires. And after setting up the new version, the screen just shows the white colour.
I think I've broken the Arduino shield. And I hoping anything else...
Do you think next step is buying an other Arduino shield and replacing it? Anything else?
Oohh... I was about to get it...

First question is, are you talking about the miniEngine 1 or 2? You posted in the 1.x forum but I guess you are talking about v2.

If you use the wrong power input you can destroy your Arduino but it is unlikely to destroy the shield (not impossible though). So if your Arduino DUE is still working, everything should be fine and the problem is somewhere else.
  • are the motors wired correctly?
  • did you adjust the motor current on the drivers?
  • is your soldering without bridges and unsoldered pins?

Good luck,
Eric
Thanks Airic for the fast reply, and for the patience.
Luckily, the Adruino is fine. I hadn't set up rightly the software and yes, I was talking about the miniEngine 2.
But the thing is, (though I didn't understand anything about electronics and still I don't...) I was about to get it. I achieved to move the motors rightly. In fact the second one because I didn't realize about the potenciometer in the easydriver and the first one was maybe too high or two low. And when I figured out it was there I played with both of them like a 4 years child. From there on, I cannot move them rightly, they just shake (one step right, one step left) always and the wires were connected in the same way like before. And they even stop moving after 12 or 15 seconds... I'm depressed, I thought I was going to use it for first time this week and I am again in a dead spot.
Motors are wired like before when they worked fine.
The soldering looks fine like before.
And I've played with the "potentiometer" maybe too much, I mean some roughly...
From my ignorance I think maybe there is something wrong with the motors.
Any suggestion?
I don't want to give up...
That your motors worked shows that the general setup is ok. Please try to turn the potentiometer to a value as low as possible. Stepper motor-drivers don't like to be overdriven and result in exactly the movements you are getting right now (this also reduces the heat generated in the driver chips).

If this does not help, please check your motor connections again. I am getting jittery movements when my motors are not connected properly.

And one more hint: NEVER DISCONNECT your motors when they are powered. This might destroy the driver chip.

Good luck,
Airic
Thanks Airic. A friend of mine is checking the motors. if those are still fine, I guess the problem will be with the driver chips due what you said with the last post.
Many thanks again...
Airic! After checking the motors, they look fine, but recently discovered that there is something wrong with the motor pins in the upper shield (the which ones are connected to the drivers). The thing is that the first one (A+)and the last one (B-) are connected in some way. And no way to see where, of course. I believe the problem is with the drivers as you said because I disconnected the motors some times while they were powered.
Could you please confirm it before I buy 2 new easydrivers?
(03-18-2014, 06:59 PM)Montor Wrote: ...Could you please confirm it before I buy 2 new easydrivers?

What do you want me to confirm? Huh
Why don't you fix the problem with the motor pins that you discovered? Also please check the motor documentation for knowing how to connect them properly.

Good luck!
Airic, You said to never disconnect my motors when they were powered. This might destroy the driver chip. But I did it before. I guess so here I have the problem.
This weekend I will weld out the drivers and I'll see which part is damaged whether the drivers or the shield... Let's see
Thanks Airic
...unfortunately one does not see if the driver-ships are fried Sad
So you approach should bring the answer.
Airic. Is it possible to buy a miniE shield v2 BigEasyDriver PCB without the other one? Too many pins for unwelding the drivers... Better a new one.