Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
miniEngine 2 problems
Hi. Airic I got my miniE2 finally put together, but am having a problem changing the setting with the buttons and encoder.
It will turn on or off and fire the camera from the main menu but since I can not change the other values I have not been able to test the motors.
I can navigate all the menus and try different combination of pressing the buttons and the encoder but not luck.
If I press the encoder to long the screen goes blank.
Maybe I solder something wrong, Not sure if is a hardware issue.

[post moved by Admin]
(01-19-2014, 11:10 PM)efelectric Wrote: Hi. Airic I got my miniE2 finally put together, but am having a problem changing the setting with the buttons and encoder.
It will turn on or off and fire the camera from the main menu but since I can not change the other values I have not been able to test the motors.
I can navigate all the menus and try different combination of pressing the buttons and the encoder but not luck.
If I press the encoder to long the screen goes blank.
Maybe I solder something wrong, Not sure if is a hardware issue.

Hello efelectric,

Because the software is basically up and running, I guess it is a hardware issue. It is pretty hard though to do any problem-hunting without some more details. The best would be if you post a picture of the shield. It needs to be sharp and have some resolutions (minimum of 1000 pixel the long side) do that I can see everything.

do the following things work?:
  • Can you change the menu position with the rotary encoder?
  • Can you start the program with the start button (the upper one)?
  • Can you go into the settings menu with the lower button?
  • Can you enter the settings-edit-screen with pressing the rotary encoder down (short press)?
Cheers,
Airic
Thanks for your quick replay.

• Can you change the menu position with the rotary encoder? Yes
• Can you start the program with the start button (the upper one)? yes
• Can you go into the settings menu with the lower button? Yes
• Can you enter the settings-edit-screen with pressing the rotary encoder down (short press)? Yes, after three or four short press or sometimes it does not react at all.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-20-2014, 01:40 AM)efelectric Wrote: Thanks for your quick replay.
•Can you change the menu position with the rotary encoder? Yes
•Can you start the program with the start button (the upper one)? yes
•Can you go into the settings menu with the lower button? Yes
•Can you enter the settings-edit-screen with pressing the rotary encoder down (short press)? Yes, after three or four short press or sometimes it does not react at all.

Hello again,

it sounds like there is something wrong with the rotary-press circuit. Because you uploaded a picture with the shield assembled, I could not check all components of this part. Can you upload another one with out the display and also from the backside? It might simply be a cold solder-joint. The involved components are C7, R23, R24, U3 and Digital pin 47.

If you have a multimeter (even a simple 5€ one), you can check all these components and if they are properly soldered / connected. The schematic can be found here: https://github.com/airiclenz/miniEngine2/tree/master/Hardware

Cheers,
Airic
Hi, yes you are right it was a solder problem and I fix it this morning
the encoder works fine now. The problem I have is that the motor are not reacting and it seems one of the easydriver is not getting power even if I change the motor from the menu as you can see in the pictures just one (motor1) is power up.
To be honest with you I have not been lucky with this drivers I may end it up using a different type.

(01-20-2014, 05:39 PM)efelectric Wrote: Hi, yes you are right it was a solder problem and I fix it this morning
the encoder works fine now.

Great!

(01-20-2014, 05:39 PM)efelectric Wrote: The problem I have is that the motor are not reacting and it seems one of the easydriver is not getting power even if I change the motor from the menu as you can see in the pictures just one (motor1) is power up.
To be honest with you I have not been lucky with this drivers I may end it up using a different type.

It looks again like bad solder joints. Because one BED (BigEasyDriver) is powered and the other is not, the BED board has power. Please check all connections of both BigEasyDrivers as well as all connections to the BED board. If the motors then are still not moving, please check the wiring to the motors too.

Airic
Hi, again you was right it was a solder problem with motor2.
I manage to get it working and I must said that it run smooth when I tested with the jog function.
But am not sure if I mess the Easydriver for motor1 it shows continuity between ground and one point in each phase.
hopefully I can fix it or I may have to order a new one.

(01-22-2014, 02:08 AM)efelectric Wrote: Hi, again you was right it was a solder problem with motor2.
I manage to get it working and I must said that it run smooth when I tested with the jog function.
But am not sure if I mess the Easydriver for motor1 it shows continuity between ground and one point in each phase.
hopefully I can fix it or I may have to order a new one.

Hello,

great to hear that at least one of the motors is working now. Interesting is that the one that is broken now is the one that was powered up correctly before. I am not sure if possibly the short between GND and two of the phase-wires is normal. I'd actually expect to have one Ground per phase - otherwise it wouldn't be an electrical circuit Wink

I can measure one of my (new) Big EasyDrivers and let you know.

Cheers
Hey Airic, now i’am done, my electronics are complete and the slider mechanics works too. Now waiting for my panohead gears Sad

And here are my problems Smile

1. If i jog the motor, and go to fast over the zero point, from lets say plus 1 to minus 1, the direction doesn’t change. Going slowly to the zero point, stop at 0,0 and then go into the other direction works fine.
2. If i use the „Go home all“ function in the pop up menu, the motor is going the right length but in the wrong direction Sad No big problem. Using the „Go Home“ function in the Settings Menu works fine.
3. At one of my first test, the system freezes completlly. No Button was accepted.
4. My biggest problem, i am sure it’s a layer 8 problem. Looking at the picture i attached, the system starts, runs the first photos ok, i think the system is making a ramp (but ramps are at 0%), starts with low motor movement, but moves with every circle a little bit more. When the system came up to photo 40 nearly the 90 cm were over, and the it fires the camera every 0.3 seconds. What do i wrong?
What is about the exclamation mark? It appears after a few shoots. Is the recordtime to short? All my delay options are at default, so 200 ms.

And some Questions for the future:
How to implement a third stepper motor?
Will it be possible to combime a miniEv1 for slider movements with the miniEv2 for vertical and horizontal movements? Perhaps with the external IN?

Cheers
Sascha

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: Hey Airic, now i’am done, my electronics are complete and the slider mechanics works too. Now waiting for my panohead gears Sad

Hello Sascha, great to hear that you are ready!
That there are problems is not so great to hear but lets see what we can do:

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: 1. If i jog the motor, and go to fast over the zero point, from lets say plus 1 to minus 1, the direction doesn’t change. Going slowly to the zero point, stop at 0,0 and then go into the other direction works fine.

I'll test that and post my results later.

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: 2. If i use the „Go home all“ function in the pop up menu, the motor is going the right length but in the wrong direction Sad No big problem. Using the „Go Home“ function in the Settings Menu works fine.

Same answer as to no. 1

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: 3. At one of my first test, the system freezes completlly. No Button was accepted.

Ok, here I cannot answer anything as I have no info about the setup at the system at that time.

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: 4. My biggest problem, i am sure it’s a layer 8 problem. Looking at the picture i attached, the system starts, runs the first photos ok, i think the system is making a ramp (but ramps are at 0%), starts with low motor movement, but moves with every circle a little bit more. When the system came up to photo 40 nearly the 90 cm were over, and the it fires the camera every 0.3 seconds. What do i wrong?
What is about the exclamation mark? It appears after a few shoots. Is the recordtime to short? All my delay options are at default, so 200 ms.

The exclamation mark means that all actions in at least one cycle took longer than the defined cycle (in your case 4.8 sec). This can be optimized by making the motor moves quicker or shortening the exposure time as well as the post delays.

As you did not show the "interesting" information like "ramping", I cannot really help but ask for the full settings of your miniE. Can you set everything so that you are having the problem and then post or mail the settings-file from the SD card?

(01-24-2014, 01:00 AM)Sascha Wrote: And some Questions for the future:
How to implement a third stepper motor?
Will it be possible to combime a miniEv1 for slider movements with the miniEv2 for vertical and horizontal movements? Perhaps with the external IN?

This is what daisy chaining will be for. It is not fully implemented yet but it will allow you to couple two (or more) miniEngine 2.

Cheers,
Airic