Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cinemoco HDR
Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out how HDR mode should behave. I've read the instructions here for HDR:
http://cinetics.com/docs/cinemoco-manual.pdf

With MiniE 1.0 and the cinemoco kit connected to a D5100.

I've enabled HDR with 5 shots and +-5 bracketing. Motor is in S-M-S mode and it is set to 'cycle'. But it only takes two shots each cycle, and they appear to be similarly exposed.

The camera is in manual, single shot mode.

I don't think it's a bug or anything, I just need some help understanding what I can expect from this feature. I was hoping it would take 5 shots with the first at -5, third at 0 and 5th at +5.

(I want to do it with the miniE because a D5100 only supports +-2.0 bracketing)
(07-03-2013, 09:03 PM)wellspokenman Wrote: Hi,
I'm having trouble figuring out how HDR mode should behave. I've read the instructions here for HDR:
http://cinetics.com/docs/cinemoco-manual.pdf

With MiniE 1.0 and the cinemoco kit connected to a D5100.

I've enabled HDR with 5 shots and +-5 bracketing. Motor is in S-M-S mode and it is set to 'cycle'. But it only takes two shots each cycle, and they appear to be similarly exposed.

The camera is in manual, single shot mode.

I don't think it's a bug or anything, I just need some help understanding what I can expect from this feature. I was hoping it would take 5 shots with the first at -5, third at 0 and 5th at +5.

Hello wellspokenman,

I am not quite sure how your setup looks like - is it the CineMoco or the original miniE system?
What is your camera post delay (Settings - CAM - post delay)? If the shots come to fast your camera might not be able to catch the trigger events. Also you need to have an exposure value which is reasonable for +/- 5 brackets.

Cheers
Airic
(07-03-2013, 09:15 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote: I am not quite sure how your setup looks like - is it the CineMoco or the original miniE system?
What is your camera post delay (Settings - CAM - post delay)? If the shots come to fast your camera might not be able to catch the trigger events. Also you need to have an exposure value which is reasonable for +/- 5 brackets.

Cheers
Airic
It's one of the first cinemocos from the kickstarter, and its using MiniEngine cinemoco v1.0. Post delay is 200ms under CAM and 300ms under MOT. Under EXP 1st and last exposure are set to 1/5".

My camera is not in BKT mode (because I want more than +-2) - just plain old manual single shot mode.

Back on the main menu, ready to press go, the exposure is 1" and the shots aren't bracketing unless I put the camera into BKT mode.
...I moved the thread to the CineMoco forum.

Please try a bigger camera post-value. I guess that your camera is not able of receiving the next shot after just 200ms. Try something really big (2secs maybe) - just to be sure.

Airic
that helps, in that it's taking 3 (change number of BKT shots to 3) shots per cycle. But they are all still identically exposed. Expose time is still 1". Number of shots now set to 3 and +- set to 2. Should the HDR bracket mode on the miniE be commanding my camera to do the bracketing, or do I misunderstand?
(07-03-2013, 10:23 PM)wellspokenman Wrote: Should the HDR bracket mode on the miniE be commanding my camera to do the bracketing, or do I misunderstand?

Is your camera set to bulb-mode? Only in bulb mode can the duration of the trigger press control the length of the exposure.
In manual mode (which your camera is in if I understood correctly), you just set the exposure setting manually - but still within the camera. You need to make it control-able by the length of the external trigger signal --> You need to set your camera to bulb-mode to make it working.

Good luck,
A.
bulb mode for the win - thank you!
Big Grin