Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
infra red support
Hi
Im new to the forum and slowly building my system.
I own 2 older nikon cameras ( D40 and D50 ) that i was planning to use for timelapses.
Both models can be used with nikon infra red remote.
Is there any specific documentation, code changes or wiring diagrams to enable this feature with miniE?
I have previously used arduino code and ir led to make a crude intervalometer.
I have bits of the code somewhere if it helps.
Any tips would be greatful
(06-30-2013, 10:33 PM)davelawton Wrote: Hi
Im new to the forum and slowly building my system.
I own 2 older nikon cameras ( D40 and D50 ) that i was planning to use for timelapses.
Both models can be used with nikon infra red remote.
Is there any specific documentation, code changes or wiring diagrams to enable this feature with miniE?
I have previously used arduino code and ir led to make a crude intervalometer.
I have bits of the code somewhere if it helps.
Any tips would be greatful

Hello Dave

There is actually a port for IR or any other kind of camera control. There is nothing implemented for this port though. But thus you have code available you can just add it to the miniE and use the IR port for it. You code needs to be placed in the camera file and there in the shoot function.

Let me know if this helped.

Cheers,
Airic
Hello Airic
Thanks for your reply.
The code i would like to use can be found here:
www.luckylarry.co.uk
I will try and work out how to add it.
Both my cameras do not have cable inputs for remote release so this seems like my only option.
I also have a Nikon P7000 that uses the same nikon IR Remote.
I am unsure of the best way to wire the led (which pins to use)
Regards
Dave lawton
(07-07-2013, 12:10 PM)davelawton Wrote: I am unsure of the best way to wire the led (which pins to use)

Hello,

you need to use the same pins as for the regular camera port. The IR port, I mentioned earlier, is just outputting the "raw" camera signals without optical isolation...

the pins are these:

Code:
// shutter and focus connections
#define CAMERA_PIN          3
#define FOCUS_PIN           11

Thus the Arduino is putting out 5V and you most likely would destroy either your Arduino or the LED without a limiting resistor, you needs to connect one in line with the led (e.g. pin --> resitor --> led --> ground).

An infrared LED I just looked up has the following specs:

forward voltage: 1.5V
max amp: 50mA

So you need to drop the voltage by 3.5V (5 from the Arduino to 1.5V for the LED). A good LED current is 20mA - this is also well below the max rating. of the LED. Thanks to Ohm law you can now calculate the needed resistor:

R = U / I
R = voltage we want to drop / current we want to apply
R = 3.5V / 0.02A

(remember always to use the full unit - so we need to use Amps not milliAmps) ...this means you need a resistor of approx.:

R = 175 Ohm

A common resistor value from the E24 range (cheaper and easier to get) is 180 ohm. Of course you need to redo this calculation for the LED you want to use.

Cheers,
A.
Well, after a bit of trial and error i eventually managed to get my miniE to fire my Nikon D50 via infra red!
This has been a major accomplishment for me having very little coding or electrical knowledge. (I am a construction worker)
I ended up using an infra red library from here
The library itself needed a small alteration to work , The latest version of Arduino has re-named “WProgram.h” to “Arduino.h”, so I just had to change that in the “nikonIrControl.h” file above.
Then i added a few lines to the miniE.ino and a few lines to the camera.ino and it works ..I am not sure if I have done it correctly but it seems to work 99.9% of the time
I am using an Arduino Mega (fried my seeduino and an easydriver) so i attatched my ir LED to pin 50 and left the rest of the code intact.

I am awaiting an UNO board and was wondering if there were any alternative pins available (would like to include RTC program next time)

I will post more details if anybody requires them.
I am very pleased with how things are working now and will post some photos of my setup when it is complete
Thank you Airic!
So - is the 'IR PORT' actually just PIN 3? Should this be putting out 5v on every trigger?
Would someone mine posting the code changes needed to utilize the 3-pin IR port on the miniE shield 1.3? Thanks!
I dont remember if AWB had this or not, but could one make it such that not only can you see who posted last in a forum, but also what topic that post was in?

What was posted in is more important than who posted it IMO...