Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
miniEngine version 2 - idea thread
Hej Coolerooney

thanks for your feedback!

(06-28-2013, 04:48 PM)Coolerooney Wrote: Will the Due connectors still be accessable through the display pcb?
-I mean those not covered by the display itself, may want to add some more hardware

No, as you can see here: http://www.minie.airiclenz.com/?p=258
The whole Arduino is covered with a shield. On top of that I maxed the pins out. This means there is just one free digital pin left. All analog pins are stille free though and can be accessed with the right header.

(06-28-2013, 04:48 PM)Coolerooney Wrote: You went for the Big Easy driver-fine, maybe consider Pololu's as they have a smaller pcb footprint and use the same 4988 chip
Will there be enough room on the driver board to fit cooling sinks (vertical)?

Again, here you can see the overal system layout: http://www.minie.airiclenz.com/?p=258
You can still use any other driver if you go for another solution. There is a header that provides power and logic for two stepper drivers.

(06-28-2013, 04:48 PM)Coolerooney Wrote: You mentioned torque as a reason to go for the BED, I my investigations have found out that the matching of the driver to motor amounts almost to alchemy, especially as provided motor datasheets are often incomplete or use parameters not usually seen by enthusiasts-like quoting torque at 24v and halfstepping the motor-meaning at 12v you get only 50% of the rated motor torque. Multiply the torque in gearbox, fine, but If matched to a low efficiency gearbox/spindle, you (easily) lose 50% again! In the meantime your rig gets slower and weaker! Now planning to run my NEMA 23 at the rated 24V

Keep in mind that the Arduino DUEs max power ratings are pretty tight. You might need to use a separated power supply for the motors and just connect the two grounds of the 2 supplies.

(06-28-2013, 04:48 PM)Coolerooney Wrote: Do you consider using SPI as possible driver interface?

Nope, but please feel free to add it if you need it Wink

(06-28-2013, 04:48 PM)Coolerooney Wrote: Thx and look forward to your hardware!

Me too. The first prototype PCBs should arrive any day now.

Cheers
Airic
Hi Airic

With most of the pins used, how can we use 3 or more motors , without using SPI, this would free up pins as it uses its own header
It would needmore than just adding a library, as there are no step signals and the like. Furthermore the driver would need to be capable for SPI comms

Agree with you on the direct connection for the driver voltage,the Due is more sensitive

Do you have a price list yet?

Thx

Coolerooney
(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: With most of the pins used, how can we use 3 or more motors , without using SPI, this would free up pins as it uses its own header
It would needmore than just adding a library, as there are no step signals and the like. Furthermore the driver would need to be capable for SPI comms

This is what daisy-chaining is for Wink Another reason why more than 2 motors is not practical is that controlling them smoothly without multitasking is bringing the system to its limits. " motors can be done but more is too much for the tiny CPU. This is also due to the other things that need to be done (e.g. display, key readings, timing, triggers, ...).

(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Agree with you on the direct connection for the driver voltage,the Due is more sensitive

Yapp, definitely. I just recently killed one while testing and experimenting...

(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Do you have a price list yet?

No, there is no price list yet.

Airic
(06-29-2013, 12:39 AM)Airic Lenz Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: With most of the pins used, how can we use 3 or more motors , without using SPI, this would free up pins as it uses its own header

This is what daisy-chaining is for Wink Another reason why more than 2 motors is not practical is that controlling them smoothly without multitasking is bringing the system to its limits. " motors can be done but more is too much for the tiny CPU. This is also due to the other things that need to be done (e.g. display, key readings, timing, triggers, ...).

(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Agree with you on the direct connection for the driver voltage,the Due is more sensitive

Yapp, definitely. I just recently killed one while testing and experimenting...

(06-29-2013, 12:00 AM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Do you have a price list yet?

No, there is no price list yet.

Airic

Goodmorning Airic,

Just to pursue this a little bit further, if limited to 2 motors, we can not do linear + pan +tilt - not to mention focus driveAngry

There are now drivers with own cpu, that take a command, (SPI) and do the calculations themselves, like acceleration, steady speed, deceleration, nr of steps etc, "just point it in the right direction" This would off load the Due, free up pins and add up to 9 devices. -granted setting up these drivers for max performance is a bitch, but doableDodgy

How many end switches can be hooked up to the Due?

Thx and have a great weekend!

Coolerooney
(06-29-2013, 01:24 PM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Goodmorning Airic,

Just to pursue this a little bit further, if limited to 2 motors, we can not do linear + pan +tilt - not to mention focus driveAngry

There are now drivers with own cpu, that take a command, (SPI) and do the calculations themselves, like acceleration, steady speed, deceleration, nr of steps etc, "just point it in the right direction" This would off load the Due, free up pins and add up to 9 devices. -granted setting up these drivers for max performance is a bitch, but doableDodgy

Hello Coolerooney2,

no reason to get angry. Thus it seems the term "daisy chaining" is unclear, I try to explain what it will be for:

Basically it means that you will be able to interconnect different miniEngine controllers and run all of them united. One will be the "master" or conductor and all the other miniEngines are following the commands from it. So connecting two miniEngines 2 will give you the power to control 4 motors, 2 external inputs and up to 4 cameras... Every new miniEngine 2 will add its features. The used com protocol (RS485) allows (at least) 32 network nodes.

...of course you are free to add the support for SPI controlled stepper motors as the developed system will be free and open-source. My time is unfortunately not endless and I can therefore only invest a limited amount of my spare time to develop the system Wink
But once the system is up and running, it should be pretty easy to extend and modify it with new features and capabilities.

Best regards,
Airic
(06-29-2013, 04:57 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 01:24 PM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Goodmorning Airic,

Hello Coolerooney2,

no reason to get angry. Thus it seems the term "daisy chaining" id unclear I try to explain what it will be for:

Basically it means that you will be able to interconnect different miniEngine controllers and run all of them united. One will be the "master" or conductor and all the other miniEngines are following the commands from it. So connecting two miniEngines 2 will give you the power to control 4 motors, 2 external inputs and up to 4 cameras... Every new miniEngine 2 will add its features. The used com protocol (RS485) allows (at least) 32 network nodes.

...of course you are free to add the support for SPI controlled stepper motors as the developed system will be free and open-source. My time is unfortunately not endless and I can therefore only invest a limited amount of my spare time to develop the system Wink
But once the system is up and running, it should be pretty easy to extend and modify it with new features and capabilities.

Best regards,
Airic

Hi Airic,

No I m not angryBig GrinBig Grin

Will the daisy chaining need complete units i.e. With screen, or just the Due and driver board?

Br

Coolerooney
(06-30-2013, 01:19 PM)Coolerooney2 Wrote: Hi Airic,

No I m not angryBig GrinBig Grin

Will the daisy chaining need complete units i.e. With screen, or just the Due and driver board?

Br
Coolerooney

The idea is to be able to remote connected devices so that "dumb" clients can be connected. Dumb means here that they have no display or buttons.

Cheers,
Airic
I've been using the MiniE 1.4 for a few projects now, and really like the setup.

One feature I'd love to have in the menu system though, is a way to run the motor at full speed with button pushes.

Especially with the second pan motor option on the 2.x version, it would be really helpful to push-and-hold a button to engage the motors and move things into a certain position.

Maybe in the menu tree, there would be a "Jog Motor" option, that turns the left and right buttons into press-and-hold to turn clockwise/anti-clockwise, and press "Enter" to exit the Jog mode when done.

Really looking forward to the new version!

-Matt
(07-01-2013, 11:54 PM)SpaceDyeVest Wrote: I've been using the MiniE 1.4 for a few projects now, and really like the setup.

great! ...but you know that the latest version of the original miniE is 1.12 (twelve, not one two)?

(07-01-2013, 11:54 PM)SpaceDyeVest Wrote: One feature I'd love to have in the menu system though, is a way to run the motor at full speed with button pushes.

As mentioned in the 1st post of this thread: "rotary knob for main menu navigation and motor control" ...this is a feature on the spec list for the new version. The code / hardware is actually already done. It will not be realized via push-buttons though but done with a rotary knob for more "feeling" and different speeds just from your finger tips.

Cheers,
A
Dear Airic,

I have another suggestion or wish.
For demonstration purpose I would like to have a demo mode.

Means: If the slider reaches a end position OR the end of a given number of steps re. distance it changes direction and moves to the other direction until it reaches the HOME position or a end switch and it starts again until the users stops the process.

A second variant would be a given move and return to Home with maximum speed and it starts again until the users stops the process.
Therefore you would need a max. speed menu point. This has to be adjusted just once by the user in order of the max. steps/sec. possible by his motor or setup.

This would also help a not experienced user when gets the slider loaned from the owner.

The demo mode could also be used for shots were you want to have specific speed of your move but don´t know when a action happens.

A external start button would be a great additional feature. It could be connected with a contrast detection unit. This would give the opportunity to start the slider when a action starts.

Hans