miniEngine forum
Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - Printable Version

+- miniEngine forum (http://forum.airiclenz.com)
+-- Forum: miniEngine (http://forum.airiclenz.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: miniEngine 1.x (http://forum.airiclenz.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. (/showthread.php?tid=6793)

Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - wypyr - 03-10-2015

Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!
I have just finished assembling and soldering Airic Lenz pcb shield. I haven't soldered easy driver yet because I just wanted to test out the camera. I connected pcb shield on top of arduino, and put lcd on top of pcb shield. Connected my Nikon D3200 camera to pcb shield, powered everything with 12 V external battery and uploaded code to my Arduino. When I tried to make a test shot after setting focus time, exposure time and everything, it didn't work. It is not taking pictures and I don't know why. Could you please help me out with this problem?
I have attached pics of Airic Lenz pcb shield.

RE: Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - Airic Lenz - 03-10-2015

(03-10-2015, 10:01 PM)wypyr Wrote: Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!
I have just finished assembling and soldering Airic Lenz pcb shield. I haven't soldered easy driver yet because I just wanted to test out the camera. I connected pcb shield on top of arduino, and put lcd on top of pcb shield. Connected my Nikon D3200 camera to pcb shield, powered everything with 12 V external battery and uploaded code to my Arduino. When I tried to make a test shot after setting focus time, exposure time and everything, it didn't work. It is not taking pictures and I don't know why. Could you please help me out with this problem?

You need to cut of the resistor legs when soldered! Right now you have shorts between the legs (which might already have destroyed some parts! The which chips - the optocouplers - are quite sensitive) and you have also solder points which look like they were not soldered correctly. In case you are unsure how to solder, please check YouTube. There are some really good tutorials.

The problem might also be related to wrong settings. There are two different camera types - Nikon is not the standard.

Good luck!
Airic

RE: Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - wypyr - 03-10-2015

(03-10-2015, 10:58 PM)Airic Lenz Wrote:
(03-10-2015, 10:01 PM)wypyr Wrote: Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!

You need to cut of the resistor legs when soldered! Right now you have shorts between the legs (which might already have destroyed some parts! The which chips - the optocouplers - are quite sensitive) and you have also solder points which look like they were not soldered correctly. In case you are unsure how to solder, please check YouTube. There are some really good tutorials.

The problem might also be related to wrong settings. There are two different camera types - Nikon is not the standard.

Good luck!
Airic

Thank you for instructions. I will fix the problems with resistor legs and solder parts correctly. I hate to ask but what do you mean by the fact that Nikon is not the standard? Would miniE work with Nikon? Thank you Smile

RE: Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - wypyr - 03-11-2015

Also, if legs of resistors have damaged optocouplers, does that mean I have to get a new Airic Lenz proto shield board or what else could I do (try to desolder optocouplers and solder new ones)?
Thanks.

RE: Isn't working. Camera isn't taking pics. - Airic Lenz - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 08:06 AM)wypyr Wrote: Also, if legs of resistors have damaged optocouplers, does that mean I have to get a new Airic Lenz proto shield board or what else could I do (try to desolder optocouplers and solder new ones)?
Thanks.

You could buy new ones locally - this would probably be the easiest solution (4N35 DIP-8). But before you do that, please test if the settings in the miniEngine are correct. You need to set the correct camera type for it being able to work (also check the documentation) and also fix the soldering.

If you need to de-solder them, you can cut the legs carefully and then you don't need to de-solder them all at once Wink

Airic