miniEngine forum

Full Version: Stepper Motor, EasyDriver Current-Voltage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!

I am working on miniE and I am using Vexta Nema23 Stepper Motor with Rino Ondrives Worm Gear Reducer 30:1 and EasyDriver stepper motor driver. I am going to power my kit with 12 V HitLights external battery. Motor needs 1.4A but 12 V HitLights battery specifies 3800mAh. Do I need to change/adjust EasyDriver in order to get enough current and not to burn the driver? How does this circuit work (voltage, current)?

Thank you! Smile
(03-01-2015, 11:47 PM)wypyr Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!

I am working on miniE and I am using Vexta Nema23 Stepper Motor with Rino Ondrives Worm Gear Reducer 30:1 and EasyDriver stepper motor driver. I am going to power my kit with 12 V HitLights external battery. Motor needs 1.4A but 12 V HitLights battery specifies 3800mAh. Do I need to change/adjust EasyDriver in order to get enough current and not to burn the driver? How does this circuit work (voltage, current)?

Thank you! Smile

The EasyDriver is capable of driving motors up to 750mA (0.75A). So if your motor needs 1.4A, it will not have the full torque it could have. With the worm reduction it still might be enough but in case you want to got up to the 1.4A you could use the BigEasydriver which is capable of driving motors up to 2A.

/Airic
(03-02-2015, 12:02 AM)Airic Lenz Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2015, 11:47 PM)wypyr Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Mr. Lenz and everyone!

Thank you! Smile

The EasyDriver is capable of driving motors up to 750mA (0.75A). So if your motor needs 1.4A, it will not have the full torque it could have. With the worm reduction it still might be enough but in case you want to got up to the 1.4A you could use the BigEasydriver which is capable of driving motors up to 2A.

/Airic
Thank you! However, what motor is used most often by users who use miniE v1? Thanks. 
(03-02-2015, 12:33 AM)wypyr Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you! However, what motor is used most often by users who use miniE v1? Thanks.

There is no definite answer to that as everyone uses different motors. The main form factor seems to be NEMA 17 though. This topic was already discussed in this forum quite a bit but any stepper motor that draws around 0.75A should work just fine. If you need more torque than a 0.75A motor can deliver, then you probably need to upgrade your stepper driver.

/Airic
(03-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Airic Lenz Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2015, 12:33 AM)wypyr Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you! However, what motor is used most often by users who use miniE v1? Thanks.

There is no definite answer to that as everyone uses different motors. The main form factor seems to be NEMA 17 though. This topic was already discussed in this forum quite a bit but any stepper motor that draws around 0.75A should work just fine. If you need more torque than a 0.75A motor can deliver, then you probably need to upgrade your stepper driver.

/Airic

Thanks. If I decide to use big easydriver though, would it be possible to somehow fit that driver on v1.3 PCB protoshield or I need another protoshield and wire v1.3 pcb to it? Thank you! 
You can glue them on the airic lenz shield like i do.
Test them then glue them. Use some glue that can be removed by force.
You still have some place for heat sink.
(03-02-2015, 06:56 PM)TokTok Wrote: [ -> ]You can glue them on the airic lenz shield like i do.
Test them then glue them. Use some glue that can be removed by force.
You still have some place for heat sink.

Thank you for advice, but, could you please send a picture of how your pcb shield looked like after you glue big easy driver? Thanks 
I only have a picture with mounted DRV8825 driver.
I just ordered some more BED, so i gonna take some pics.
I see most people using NEMA 17 stepper motor with current more than 1 Amps. A question? Is everyone using small easy driver and dolly system works fine even though most NEMA 17 motors require current more than 1 A?
Thanks.
You can use Nema 17 with gear ratio like 27:1 or even 100:1 then you have a lot of torgue even with weak driver.
It depends on what power you need.
Moving o gopro on a small slider, you need Nema 11 and small driver with less than 1amp.
If you want move a big Dslr maybe vertikal you need more than 1,5 amp with some gear ratio like 20:1.
Gear ratio also limiting your speed.
You have to try.
Pages: 1 2